Protecting Your Company From Harmful Legislation
1. We were able to get changes made to the NYC Earned Sick Time Act, which, as originally drafted, would have had serious consequences for the industry. Thanks to the efforts of our Legislative Committee we were able to get the following concessions:
2. We worked with both houses of the State Legislature to successfully get them to repeal the annual Wage Theft Notice recertification requirement. The bill is currently awaiting the Governor's signature.
3. We have lobbied hard against Fair Pay Act legislation, which would require companies to chart all their jobs and insure pay was the same for jobs of comparable worth (imagine trying to figure all that out!). This legislation has not been passed.
4. Other bills we have fought to prevent being enacted include:
5. Currently meeting with key City Council members to provide input on the proposed NYC credit check bill which would place a significant burden on the industry as currently drafted.
It’s true; these wins help the entire industry, whether or not they are NYSA members. But if our membership drops, we won’t have the necessary funds to continue the fight and everyone will lose. Please do the right thing and continue to support NYSA so our important legislative advocacy can continue. The savings will be worth many times your membership dollars.
See also, recent legislative activities.